Be Mine Paper Valentines Day Card
Nothing says Be Mine like a Paper Valentines Day Card. Being sweet to someone never goes out of style and truly makes your holiday so much happier.
How To Make:
- Start with the Mars 7.5 in. square envelope. Since the Creative Expressions Treat Cups – Heart, are about 1/2″ thick the card needs to be smaller than usual; the final card is 6.5″ square.
- To make the Mars envelope deeper, to hold the Fillable Treat Cup, score the sides and bottom at 1/4″. Score on both the front and the back of the envelope. Work the scores back and forth and push the flat envelope into a box with 1/2″ sides. Fold the little triangles at the bottom upward, and glue them down.
- Cut the envelope flap so that it is square with the new boxy envelope. Apply American Crafts, Tazzel, Red Glitter Tape, 3/8″, down the sides, around the bottom and over the glued down triangles at the bottom. Tuck about 2″ of tape inside the envelope, on both sides, where the flap comes down. This will reinforce the top where the card tucks inside the envelope. Line the envelope with some Zebra paper, scored before it is taped inside. Cut it 4″ deep by 6.5″ wide and score it at 1.5″ and 2″, from the top of the flap. Add a thin line of 1/8″ ScorTape (or red liner tape) at the very end of the flap.
- Mars cover starts a 8.5″ x 11″ sheet of paper and is cut to 6.5″ wide and scored at 6.5″. The full red sheet is the front, and the back is made longer by adding a 3.5″ x 6.5″ piece of 2PBasic Glitter Paper, Red cover, at the bottom. Place it on 1/2″ ScorTape that is put on the bottom the Mars inside flap. Put the ScorTape along the bottom of the Mars, line up the Glitter Paper so the back is as long as the front, and press down to adhere the Glitter Paper.
- Decorate the front of the card. Using your Sizzix, Framelits, 657561, Hearts, 5 3/8″ die cut, center it side to side and 1/2″ from the top. I attached a 6.5″ square of 2PBasic Glitter Paper, Red, 65lb cover, to the back of the front flap using ScorTape and glue. The tape will hold it in place while the glue dries.
- I cut the Recollections, 12″ x 12″ Zebra Glitter Paper in Black and White (or the red) into a heart using Sizzix, Framelits, 657561,Hearts, 4 1/2″ die cut. Before I glued it down to the Red Glitter, I used the smaller heart insert from the Creative Expression, Sue Wilson Craft Dies, Fillables-Jewelled Heart.
- Tape it down on the Zebra heart and cut the little heart out. Save it to decorate the inside. If you cannot find the Zebra paper, use the red Zebra paper, or just use the 2PBasic Glitter Paper, White, 65lb cover. Before you glue the Zebra heart down, tape the Zebra heart in place and put the little die cut heart through the hole, and run it again through your Big Shot. It did cut for me; if it doesn’t, it will leave enough of a line to remove the Zebra and place the die gut on the Red Glitter paper, and cut out the little heart. Each time, test to be sure that that treat box fits through the little heart.
- Push the treat box through the Red Glitter. Before you push the treat box through the card front, put 1/8″ ScorTape (or Red Liner Tape) around both sides of the lip on the treat box. Pull the tape on the part of the box that attaches it to the front flap. Using a toothpick, apply some Cosmic Shimmer Acrylic Glue and press down. Now tape and glue the Zebra heart onto the Red Glitter heart, from the front of the card, by pushing it over the treat box, and pressing down.
- Before you fill up the treat box, cut a heart from the Shine, Red Satin 80lb text using the Sizzix, Framelits, 657561, Hearts, 5 3/8″ size. The goal is to cover the open back of the treat box without making it hard to pull off the cover, which is the large Shine heart, so someone can eat the candy hearts.
- Pull off the ScorTape on the side of treat box that is exposed on the inside, and add some glue. Add some tape around the edges of the back of the Shine heart, and make a pull tab from the glitter tape at the bottom of the Shine heart. Tape and glue on the two little hearts, then apply the Shine heart after filling the treat box. Refer to the photos.
- Using the American Crafts Thickers Sentiment Alphabet Foil Stickers – Silver, add your message inside. I used the old valentine standby: 2Good, 2B, 4Gotten. I did have to glue them down.
MATERIALS USED IN THIS CRAFT:
- Stardream Metallics
- Mars 105 lb cover
- Mars 7.5in square envelopes
- Glitter Paper
- White, 65lb cover
- Red, 65lb cover
- Red Satin 80lb text
- Creative Expression, Sue Wilson Craft Dies, Fillables-Jewelled Heart
- Sizzix, Framelits, 657561, Hearts, 4 1/2″ & 5 3/8″
- Creative Expressions Treat Cups – Heart
- American Crafts Thickers Sentiment Alphabet Foil Stickers – Silver
- American Crafts, Tazzel, Red Glitter Tape, 3/8″
- ScorTape, 1/4″ & 1/8″
- Cosmic Shimmer Acrylic Glue