This Butterfly DIY Card brings some beauty in an envelope. Customize the outside of the card for any occasion. But making this card is so much fun and brings that beauty to the person you are sending it to.
Using the shiny and matte paper for this project brings a special decorative touch to the design. And placing the 5-inch x 7-inch card in a Stardream Metallic Lagoon A7 Envelope is sure to bring the full design together.
- Start with Extract, Aqua, 140lb cover, and trim the paper to 7-inch by 10-inch, then score and fold it in half.
- Using the Creative Expression, Mini Gemini Dies- Lynx, die-cut the right side of the front of the card flap. Refer to the photos.
- Cut a piece of Extract, Shell, 80lb text to 3.5 -inch x 7-inch and also die cut it with Creative Expression, Mini Gemini Dies- Lynx. Referring to the photo, die-cut using the uncut side of the Shell to back of the die-cut design on the front. Attach it using ScorTape, both 1/2-inch and 1/8-inch in the smaller places. Glue down any little bits sticking up in the die-cut design, so they don’t catch.
- Cut 9-inch of 3/8-inch of ribbon at an angle and attach using ScorTape, 1/8-inch. My angle is .75-inch from the left at the top and 1.25 from the right at the bottom; use whatever angle suits you. It doesn’t have to be herringbone and it doesn’t have to be 3/8-inch and it doesn’t have to be teal. Ribbons come and go and that is what I had on hand. I cut it long and trimmed it after it was applied to the card.
- The butterfly is the special event and uses 2 different dies: Memory Box, Tristan and Memory Box, Chloe. You want to think about this a minute and see how it is constructed. Cut the Memory Box, Tristan, the solid butterfly, out of Silhouette Double Sides Adhesive paper and remove the yellow backing. I remove the yellow one first as the white backing is heavier and it is easier to get off of a delicate design after it is cut. The yellow backing is off and the white backing is still on. Die-cut the Memory Box Chloe from the Shell and apply it over the adhesive Tristan, and then burnish on Cosmic Shimmer Gilding Flakes, Red Blaze. Cut the butterfly body from the Shell. I put the butterfly on the card front as the last step so that it would not get beaten up as I made the rest of the card.
- For the inside use Stardream Metallic, Lagoon, 105lb cover, and cut 3 die cuts using Memory Box, Honeyblossom, Sprig. Using some spray adhesive put down the 3 twigs in a design pleasing to you. Try to be careful that none of the flowers gets caught in the fold of the card.
- Using a glue stamp, and Inkadinkado, acrylic back, (red) rubber stamp, “Happy Birthday”, on a piece of Curious Metallic, Rose Gold, 111lb cover, that is 4 1/2-inch square. If you need to, draw a light pencil line around the circle die. Cover the back with a piece of the adhesive sheet. The message is to the top of the circle which is trimmed on the bottom after application. Cover the glue with Stampendous, Frantage Embossing Powder, Aged Gold, and heat set it with a heat gun. I had better luck with the heavier, coordinating, Rose Gold. Die-cut it with the 3.25-inch circle die-cut, pull the white backing. Add some glue and press it down. Trim the bottom of the circle.
- Apply the butterfly to the front and the body over the butterfly. You are done.
Materials needed in this craft:
- Other Materials needed:
- Silhouette Double Sided Adhesive Sheet
- Creative Expression, Mini Gemini Dies- Lynx
- Circle Die Cut, 3.25″
- Memory Box, Honeyblossom, Sprig
- Memory Box, Chloe
- Memory Box, Tristan
- Cosmic Shimmer Gilding Flakes, Red Blaze
- Glue Stamp & Refill Bottle
- Inkadinkado acrylic back (red) rubber stamp “Happy Birthday”
- Stampendous, Frantage Embossing Powder, Aged Gold
- American Crafts Ribbon, Teal Blue Herringbone, 3/8″
- ScorTape, 1/4″ & 1/2″
- Heat Gun
- Spray Adhesive