With Valentines Day around the corner, the best way to share your love and appreciation this season is with a Lovely Valentines Day Card! Make sure to check out below how to make your very own. This is a great card that shows great love and nothing says love like a handmade card. Great materials make everything handmade look wonderful. Refer to the photos and add your touches.
Instructions for Lovely Valentines Day Card
- The envelope and the hearts are Stardream Metallics, Azalea. The Azalea envelope is 5 1/4″ x 7 1/4″. The “Love” is die cute from Curious Metallics 111lb cover using Creative Expression by Sue Wilson, Fillable Jeweled Hearts.
- The heart on the front is from Sizzix Framelits, Die Cut 657561. The 2 3/4″ heart and the 1 7/8″ heart are nestled together and cut at the same time. Use blue masking tape to hold them on the paper for die cutting. The heart used on the inside of the card is the leftover heart from cutting the 2 above hearts.
- Everything else is predicated on how you cut the lattice. Refer to the Materials List below for more information on the lattice die cut; I bought mine of Amazon. It comes with no borders. It can be cut out of a large size paper without coming out of the paper. Use PaperPaper.com’s Glitter Paper, Diamond White (1-Sided), 8-1/2-x-11, 65lb cover. The side borders are cut to 3/8″ and just by happenstance, the bottom is 1.8″ and the top is a tad smaller. In an ideal world they would all be even, but I didn’t think it mattered. It has to fit into the envelope. If my top and borders were thicker it would not fit into the envelope.
Using Cosmic Shimmer Glue and a toothpick, cover the back of the Glitter Paper with glue. Be thin with it so it doesn’t leak out. I covered the card with wax paper to keep it clean, using the brayer. Keep smoothing for a very long time; it spreads the glue until it dries.
- Cut the Curious Metallics, Rose Gold, 111lb cover to match the final lattice die cut. I placed the lattice in the lower left corner of the Rose Gold; leaving the right side to trim. Trim along the sides of the lattice so there is no Rose Gold showing. When the width is correct, score and fold the Rose Gold at the top of the lattice. Trim the extra paper.
- On the back of the die cut heart use ScorTape 1/4″ & 1/2″; apply tape and then glue to the back of the die cut heart. Leave the area where the ribbon goes without glue and tape. Place the heart is 3/8″ from the bottom of the card front and 1 1/16″ from the right side of the card.
- Applying the ribbon. The ribbon is 3/8″ and I found some like it on Ebay that is around $4.00. Glitter Ribbon, 3/8″ (Ebay has American Crafts Glitter Tape, Rouge Red, 3/8 in wide, 3 yards for around $4.00 Price check). That is the cheapest I could find that looked really nice. Use what you have.
Cut a piece 4″ long (left) and another piece 2 1/4″ long (right). Cut a 45 degree angle on the end of each piece. The top of the 3/8″ wide tape is 2 1/4″ from the bottom of the card on the left and the top of the shorter piece on the right is 1 5/8″ from the bottom. Apply 1/4″ ScorTape to the back of the ribbons and slide them in from the sides, under the heart, where you there is no tape or glue. Trim.
- Do the inside of the card next. Cut some Crush, White Corn, 92lb cover to 3 7/8″ wide. Cut it to 6 7/8″ long. On the right edge of the paper apply 1/2″ ScorTape. Put some on the left but don’t pull the backing yet. Pull the backing on the right side and gently place on the inside of the card, 7/16″ from the card fold. Pull the tape on the left and place it down. Make sure it is even before you press it down hard. You can adjust the White Corn by using Undu adhesive remover. It temporarily releases the adhesive and you then press it down again.
- On the inside add ScorTape to the back of the smaller heart and place it on the White Corn. Add glue to the back of the “Love” die cut and place it on the heart. I used a brayer on it.
- On the front of the card add some glue to the back of the small rose and place it at the bottom of the heart. Refer to the photos. The rose is from “EK Success Dimensional Rose Stickers Martha Stewart MA060014 Red Pink 12Pc”. I found it on Ebay. The tiny rose is 1 1/4″ including the leaf.
- Put the card under wax paper and use the brayer to seal everything down. Enjoy.
Materials for Valentines Day Card
- Glitter Paper
- Diamond White (1-Sided), 8-1/2-x-11, 65lb cover
- Curious Metallics
- Rose Gold, 111lb cover
- Stardream Metallics
- Azalea, 105lb cover
- Lattice die: Big Metal Cutting Dies Diamond Background die cuts 5 by 7 Inch for Wedding Card Making DIY Decoration Tools (Big die Suitable for A4 Paper Decor) (Amazon).
- The die cuts without a border. The design lifts out of the paper but it stays intact on the paper. You cut the design out of the larger paper, adding whatever size borders you wish.
- My final lattice size, with borders, is 5 1/16-inch x 6 15/16-inch
- The lattice opening is 4 13/16-inch X 6 7/16-inch. This is just the lattice die after cutting out, without the borders
- Sizzix Die Framelits, 6 dies. Use the 2 3/4-inch and the 1 7/8-inch.
- Creative Expression by Sue Wilson, Fillable Jewelled Hearts: use the “Love” die
- Glitter Ribbon, 3/8-inch (Ebay has American Crafts Glitter Tape, Rouge Red, 3/8 in wide, 3 yards for around $4.00 Price check)
- ScorTape, 1/4-inch & 1/2-inch
- Crafter’s Companion, Red Liner Tape, 1/8-inch (optional)
- Cosmic Shimmer Acrylic Glue
- Martha Stewart, Dimensional Rose Stickers (I used the 1.25-inch rose (that includes the leaf) Ebay has it: “EK Success Dimensional Rose Stickers Martha Stewart MA060014 Red Pink 12Pc”.
- Brayer (optional bur very helpful): mine has a 1-inch roller.
- Wax paper: Put it on the surface behind the card to keep it clean. Put the card in the wax paper before using the brayer.