Looking for a special way to celebrate your Dad or Father figure in your life? This is the perfect way to celebrate because it is an easy, fast, and beautiful card to celebrate Father’s Day!
The final card fits into a Shine, Gold, A7 envelope. It has a 1/4-inch bend at the seam so it is a shorter final dimension to allow room for the card to slide in and out of the envelope. The final dimension of the card, folded, is 4 7/8-inch wide by 6.5-inch long. Keep referring to the photos as you go along and improvise as you see fit.
- Start with Remake, Blue Sky, 140lb cover and print it with the included decorative print: “My Dad is my Hero”. (Since this is a thicker paper make sure to look on how to print successfully with your printer. Look at the bottom for JPG photo “My Dad is my Hero”)
- Cut it to 4 7/8-inch wide, score it at 6.5-inch, and then at 6.75-inch. Work the folds gently. Score the front at the midpoint, 3.25-inch; this is the peak in the card when it is folded. Score it at the bottom of the front, .5-inch up; this is where it slides into the slot at the bottom and this makes it stand up.
- To extend the back, cut a piece of Curious Skin, Mocha 100lb cover to 7-inch x 4 7/8-inch. Score it at 3.25-inch and fold it. The back is 3.75-inch long. The short side goes on the inside of the card. I doubled it for strength since it is supporting some weight. For ease of construction, I put a pencil line on the inside of the card where the Mocha has to be taped for the card to be 6.75-inch long. Do this adjustment carefully so that it fits well. Put ScorTape along the pencil line and put the Mocha on the inside of the card. Put some ScorTape on the Mocha so it attaches to the back of the card. Now you have the Blue Sky sandwiched between the Mocha.
- To make the little slot to hold the card up, start with Neenah, Cotton Mint, 220lb cover, and cut 5 strips of paper. It is hard to cut heavier paper on my cutter, so I cut wide pieces and hand-cut them in the middle. The cuts are 1.25-inch wide and 4-inch long. Mark the middle with a pencil and cut them. I used an Exacto blade to start the cuts and then finished with Tim Holtz scissors, which followed the scoreline. The final width of each strip is 5/8-inch wide and you will now have 10 pieces. They may not all match but it won’t be noticeable. Use 1/2-inch ScorTape to put on the back of each piece. Stack and glue them in 2 groups of 5, using Cosmic Shimmer Acrylic Glue to add strength. Place them on the bottom of the inside, almost 1/8-inch apart. I did use an acrylic nail file to smooth the sides. Before that glue dries, slip the bottom of the front into the slots and see that it stays. I would go narrower rather than wider. That paper is not 1/8-inch thick.
- The inside message is printed from the enclosed image and is printed on Shine, Gold 107lb cover. Cut that paper to 4-inch wide by 6-inch long and attach it with ScorTape. I used 2 pieces of 1/2-inch tape each side of the fold and also along the bottom and sides. Start at the bottom and adjust the margins on the bottom to match the sides. The top will come along. Make sure it is laid down flat. Carefully score the Gold paper. The paper is pretty thick by this time, so I wound up using a ruler with my bone folder.
- The announcement tab on the front is made from Mocha and started as 4-inch x 5-inch which reflects the width of the inside message paper. I cut it with Sue Wilson, Gemini Collection, Cepheus. The final image is 4.75-inch tall. Attach it with 1/2 ScorTape along the bottom fold. Enjoy!