20 Dec Winter Wonderland Christmas Card
This Winter Wonderland Christmas card is one that can send the holiday cheer and love to friends and family. My favorite part about this Christmas holiday is watching the snow fall slowly and seeing it just holding time still once it has completely fallen. With this card you can send this standstill moment to make sure people remember what is really important during this busy time.
The card fits into a Pure Snow White square envelope.
To make the card:
Start with Electric Blue and cut it 6 1/8″ by 5.5″. It is a little narrower since the card has a 3D decoration on the front, which takes up space in the envelope. Score and fold it at 13/16″, or thereabouts, so the blue front is now 6 1/8″ by 4.75″. The card back is cut from White Silver is cut to 6 1/8″ by 6.25″, and attach to the front 13/16″ fold, with 1/2″ ScorTape. Using a 6.25″ x 4″ piece of White Silver, die cut it with Memory Box Die Cut, Country Landscape. Using ScorTape attach it to the Electric Blue card front so the right side is around 4″ down from the top. Trim the White Silver to match the back. The extra White Silver space gives you some wiggle room to place the design.
To decorate the card:
To make some decorations for the tree I wanted to make some branches that would have sparkels with an intense white, iridescent shine, so I used Pure Snow White Cover. Usually I would use a text weight for this Martha Stewart Branch punch, but since it was being glued on the front cover weight was used; 14 branches were used for the tree.
Using Martha Stewart’s Punch, Branch, or something similar, punch a White Silver garland for the left side of the card and hang it down from the top with glue. I found that punch to be difficult to extract after cutting, so go slow and keep pushing the leaves down in the punch, from the back, with a pin tool, so they will come out.
The whole design sits in from the left about 1.5″, measuring across the design. Make the Christmas tree next, out of Abyss. The final tree is 3.25″ tall and 3″ wide. The original was made from copy paper and 3 triangles were placed on top of each other with the top triangle a little smaller, by a tad. Then place the copy paper tree, with the triangles taped together, on the Abyss, outline it with a light pencil, and cut it out.
Here is the order used here to keep the mess down:
1. Using the Memory Box, Country landscape die, cut another row of houses out of Silhouette Double Sided Adhesive Paper. Hand draw a curve under them and cut off the houses. Draw a second curve under that about .75″ down and hand cut it. Remove the backing and apply under the row of White Silver houses. This is smooth big curve with the snow on it. Pull off the front liner and Apply Cosmic Shimmer Acrylic Glue with a toothpick over the Silhouette curve.
2. Being careful, add ScorTape and glue to the back of the Christmas tree and place it about 13/16″ in from the right edge on the bottom triangle and .25″ down over the house outlines.
3. Add the Christmas package under the tree, referring to the photos.
4. Add Orginal Buffalo Snowflakes and brush off the extra.
5. Add 1/8″ ScorTape on top of the Christmas tree layers, 2 strips per triangle, horizontally.
6. Add glue along the tape and put down the White Silver branches.
There are 3 branches on the top triangle, 5 on the middle triangle, and 6 on the bottom. Add more or less branches as you wish. Before you finish the front, finish the inside. Using Sizzix, Magnetic Mover and Shakers, Joy, or something similar, die cut it in a 4.5″ x 4.5″ piece of Electric Blue. Since you cannot tape down the deep dish die you have to leave trim space on the card, in case the die moves. In theory you have to use the magnetic plate, but you can also take out all plates in your Big Shot Pro and shim it. You cannot get this die through the small machines; you can also cut letters or add stickers to the Electric Blue square.
The final size for the inside square is 3.5″ x 3.5″. To add some contrasting shine to the inside, add some 1/8″ ScorTape below the fold for the card flap and burnish with Cosmic Shimmer Gilding Flakes, Gold Jewel. Or just add a piece of shiny gold paper.
Add the Electric Blue square with the “Joy” letters flush with the gold line and centered from side to side. If you do the design in pieces you can remake anything that doesn’t come out well. If you bump the designs up against each other you can square it up easier. Add a Jolee’s Boutique, Snowflake Repeat, on the Electric Blue and you are done with the inside. On the front, Using a toothpick and some Acrylic Glue at the top of each layer of White Silver branches. Clump the glue a bit and add more Orginal Buffalo Snowflakes and press down.
To add something twinkly to the extra Acrylic Glue on the Christmas tree, sprinkle some Finishing Accents No Hole Glass Glitter Beads 1mm, or something similar. It doesn’t show much, but keeps the card from being sticky, since Cosmic Shimmer Acrylic Glue stays sticky until something is put on it. For a very long time. Using another toothpick, glue on more Snowflake Repeats along with red and green glass rounds, which are applied like ornaments to the tree.
Little Tips: there is always a bottle of Un-du around so I can keep my hands clean as I work. The paper is very sturdy, so you can take Un-Du and a Q-tip and wash off any glue spots. And I work on wax paper so I can toss it. The tree star is Jolee’s Boutique, Bling Sticker, Gold Puffy Stars & Gems, however you can use any star you have and put a red glass round on top of the star for a little dimension. The little Christmas package is available in different sizes and shapes now from Jolee’s Boutique Dimensional Stickers-Christmas Gifts, or wrap your own package. This card is a present in itself that will be treasured.
Paper Products used:
- Curious Metallics, Electric Blue, 111 lb cover
- Curious Metallics, White Silver, 111 lb cover
- Curious Metallics, Abyss, 111 lb cover
- FAV Shimmer, Pure Snow White, 92 lb cover
- FAV Shimmer, Pure Snow White, 6.6″ square envelope
Other Materials used in this project:
- Martha Stewart Punch, Branch
- Martha Stewart Double Sided Punch, Vine Trim
- Memory Box Die Cut, Country Landscape
- ScorTape 1/2″ & 1/8″
- Sizzix Movers & Shapers Magnetic Die, Joy
- Cosmic Shimmer Acrylic Glue
- Silhouette Double Sided Adhesive Sheets
- Original Buffalo Snowflakes
- Finishing Accents No Hole Glass Glitter Beads 1mm
- Julee’s Boutique, Snowflake Repeats
- Jolee’s Boutique, Christmas Present Dimensional Stickers (Joann’s has this:Jolee’s Boutique Dimensional Stickers-Christmas Gifts )
- Jolee’s Boutique, Bling Sticker, Gold Puffy Stars & Gems
- Glass Round Sticker, Red & Green